Statutes and definition of the mandate of the Executive Board
of the Espace Mathématique Francophone (EMF)
These statutes can only be modified by a favorable vote of at least three quarters of the members of the Bureau in office.
Functions of the EMF Executive Board
The scientific meetings of the Espace Mathématique Francophone (EMF) are a series of meetings organized under the auspices of the International Commission on Mathematical Education (ICMI) as regional conferences. The working language of these international scientific meetings is French.
The primary function of the EMF Executive Board (hereafter the Board) is to promote the realization of the EMF scientific meetings every three years in a spirit consistent with the initial vocation of these scientific meetings, namely to promote, within the French-speaking community of teachers and researchers, exchanges and reflections on the lively issues of mathematics education at the primary, secondary and higher levels.
For each EMF scientific meeting, the Bureau is in charge of :
- choosing the host country for this scientific meeting ;
- choose, in consultation with the host country, the president of the Scientific Committee;
- establish, in collaboration with the President of the Scientific Committee, the composition of the Scientific Committee;
- supervising the evaluation of the symposium.
The designation of a Scientific Committee for an EMF scientific meeting must be completed within six months of the previous scientific meeting.
The principle of recurrence every three years, as well as the alternation between North and South for the scientific meeting venues, is an important feature of EMF scientific meetings. Thus a symposium will be organized in a Northern country each year 2018+6N and in a Southern country each year 2021+6N.
Composition and mode of designation of the EMF Executive Board
The Board consists of eight members appointed for a single six-year term. Half of the Board is renewed every three years. New members take office after the process of nominating the host country and the Scientific Committee has been completed.
The outgoing Bureau is responsible for proposing the list of its new members for validation by the ICMI Executive Committee. In the selection of its new members, the Bureau shall respect principles of balance between representatives from the South (Africa, Asia) and the North (Europe, North America) on the one hand and women and men on the other, as follows.
- The Bureau must include at least three members from the North (Europe, North America) and at least three from the South (Africa, Asia). No two members may work in the same country.
- The Bureau must include at least three women and at least three men. Neither of the two sub-regions can be composed of only men or only women.
- The outgoing President of the Scientific Committee becomes ex-officio one of the 8 members of the Executive Board for a term of 6 years.
- Among the three other new members, at least one, from a country other than the President, comes from the outgoing Scientific Committee.
The new members must commit themselves to participate in the EMF scientific meetings held during their mandate.
It is during the scientific meeting of year N that the Board chooses the location and the President of the Scientific Committee of year N+3 and appoints the 3 new members of the Board (in addition to the President of the outgoing Scientific Committee).
At each renewal, the President of the Bureau is elected by the members of the Bureau for a three-year term on the principle of alternating between countries of the South (years 2015+6N) and of the North (years 2018+6N).
Annex 1 - Rules for the candidatures of countries wishing to organize an EMF scientific meeting
12 months before the holding of an EMF symposium year N, the executive committee must make diffuse by all the possible networks a call for candidature for the symposium year N+3 and give the rules of constitution of the files which will have to reach the members of the executive committee via their president at the latest one month before the beginning of the EMF symposium year N. Let us recall here that the principle of alternation between the North and the South leads to solicit candidacies for a country of the North in the years 2018+6N and for a country of the South in 2021+6N.
This file must include at least the following elements:
- A detailed argumentation on the scientific and geopolitical relevance of the choice of the conference venue, which takes into account the particularities of the EMF conferences and their history and states the advantages of the candidacy in terms of:
- impact and attractiveness for the country or region;
- Accessibility to as many potential EMF participants as possible (including locally);
- The dynamism and quality of the organizing team, particularly in its relationship with the EMF.
- Letters of support attesting to local (or even regional) scientific, administrative and political support on which the organizing team can rely.
- A forecast on the material infrastructures (conference venue, rooms and equipment, housing, local transportation, social and cultural activities).
- A provisional budget detailing the costs and subsidies envisaged.
- The dates envisaged for the holding of the scientific meeting with an argument.
- The choice of a president of the scientific committee, who may not be a national or employee of the host country.
- The choice of a president of the organizing committee, who must be locally based, be distinct from the president of the scientific committee and be a member of the scientific committee.
The Bureau reserves the right to request additional documents and to meet with the project leader(s) to obtain information.
Once the project has been chosen,
- The constitution of the scientific committee is the responsibility of the president of the scientific committee who will have been designated, in consultation with the Bureau.
- The president of the Scientific Committee of the conference of year N is ex-officio member of the Scientific Committee of the conference of year N+3.
- No other member of the Bureau may be a member of the Scientific Committee.
- The Scientific Committee of the conference of year N+3 must be decided and approved by the Board of Directors no later than six months after the end of the conference of year N.
- The new Bureau (half of which is renewed) is appointed as soon as this stage is completed according to the terms agreed upon during the scientific meeting of year N.
Appendix 2 - Composition of the first Bureau
As the terms of renewal of the bureau designated in 2012 following the Geneva scientific meeting could not be held, a new bureau is constituted in 2015 at the beginning of the Algiers scientific meeting.
It is composed of:
- Teresa Assude (France)
- Faiza Chellougui (Tunisia)
- Jean-Luc Dorier (Switzerland)
- Judith Sadja Njomgang (Cameroon)
- Ahmed Semri (Algeria)
- Moustapha Sokhna (Senegal)
- Laurent Theis (Canada) (ex-officio)
- Joelle Vlassis (Luxembourg/Belgium)
This board elected Moustapha Sokhna as president.
The task of this board is to designate the place and the president of the Scientific Committees of the 2018 and 2021 Symposia. It will also have to validate the two scientific committees.
Once the Scientific Committee of the 2021 conference has been approved, half of this board will be renewed (the names of the outgoing and incoming members will be chosen and announced during the 2018 conference).
Exceptionally, the 4 outgoing members will have served only a three-year term.
Following the EMF2018 conference, a new board has been constituted according to the above rules:
- Laurent Theis (Canada) (President)
- Maha Abboud (France)
- Faiza Chellougui (Tunisia)
- Stéphane Clivaz (Switzerland)
- Patricia Nebout Arkhurst (Ivory Coast)
- Mamadou Souleymane Sangaré (Mali)
- Ahmed Semri (Algeria)
- Joelle Vlassis (Luxembourg/Belgium).